Garbage Disposal Repair in Houston, Tx
Most homeowners don’t even remember their garbage disposal when asked about their home’s appliances. But when you think about the job that it does and how often it is asked to make all the mess in your kitchen sink disappear, you begin to appreciate it much more. And its value is never more evident than the day you flip that switch, but nothing happens. Fortunately, the pros at Heaton Plumbing have decades of experience with Garbage Disposal Repair in Houston, Tx. Just call (281) 645-5039, and one of our licensed plumbers will arrive quickly to repair this valuable unsung hero of the kitchen.
When Your Garbage Disposal Won’t Turn On
When it comes to Garbage Disposal Repair in Houston, Tx It is incredible how much we can take for granted in our modern kitchens. You flip a switch, and your garbage disposal comes to life and disposes of all the bits of waste and food that have washed off of dishes, pots, and pans. But when you flip the switch, and nothing happens, you immediately begin to frown. But before you get too annoyed, follow this simple checklist to ensure that it is not a simple electrical issue that you can easily overcome.
- Make sure the disposal is plugged in. The outlet is generally located under your kitchen sink. The disposal cord can sometimes accidentally get unplugged when pulling other items from under the sink, such as cleaning products.
- Press the reset button on the bottom of the disposal. It should be recessed on the base of the main housing and about a pencil eraser’s size. Many manufacturers make them bright red so that they are easy to locate.
- Check your home’s electrical breaker box to make sure that no breakers are tripped. If you locate a tripped breaker, reset it and then try your disposal switch again.
- If none of these simple electrical solutions fix your disposal, call (281) 645-5039 to schedule a garbage disposal repair appointment with a Heaton Plumbing pro.
The Disposal Hums But Is Not Grinding When You Flip The Switch
If you turn on your garbage disposal and only hear a slight hum but no grinding sound, the flywheel could be jammed. Turn off the disposal quickly to prevent additional damage to the unit, then follow these steps:
- Turn off the circuit breaker to your garbage disposal outlet or unplug the disposal to ensure your safety.
- Turn on the disposal switch to ensure there is no power to the unit and no possibility of getting hurt while troubleshooting.
- Carefully insert a wrench into the flywheel-turning hole on the base of the disposal. Turning the wrench clockwise should dislodge whatever is jamming the disposal. Once the debris is dislodged, you will feel the flywheel turn freely.
- Reset the breaker for the disposal outlet and plug the cord back into the outlet.
- Press the reset button on the bottom of the disposal.
- Turn on the water and flip the switch on and off a few times. These short bursts of power should chop up whatever was jamming the grinder on the disposal and allow it to wash down the drain.
- If this process does not dislodge the item that is jamming your disposal, unplug the unit or shut off the breaker and call in the pros at Heaton Plumbing for a garbage disposal repair in Houston, Tx. Never put your hand in the disposal to remove a blockage.
How To Prevent Garbage Disposal Damage
Your disposal has a tough job. But you can extend its life by following a few simple guidelines:
- Avoid overfilling the disposal
- Run cold water while the unit is grinding up food waste and for a few seconds after the disposal has been turned off
- Don’t pour grease down the drain as it hardens and creates clogs and blockages
- Don’t place coffee grounds, eggshells, or animal bones in a disposal
- Don’t grind up stringy items like vegetable peels
If you discover that your garbage disposal is not functioning correctly and the steps above did not solve the problem, call (281) 645-5039 for professional garbage disposal repair in Houston, Tx from the pros as Heaton Plumbing. We offer fair pricing, fast service, and all of our work is backed by a complete warranty.